STAMFORD, Conn., — Memorial Day weekend break marks the unofficial begin of the summer season.
Mayor David Martin, the City of Stamford’s Department of Healthiness & Social Services and the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention are reminding residents to protect their skin from the sun’s ultraviolet rays to Steer clear of skin cancer. The council has actually named the Friday prior to Memorial Day “Don’t Fry Day.”
“I will certainly be outside this weekend, and I will certainly be wearing sunscreen and a hat. It is essential to protect your skin as soon as you are outside,” Martin said. “I was among 76,000 individuals to be diagnosed this year along with Melanoma, which joined portion since I wasn’t as careful along with my sunscreen as I need to have actually been as soon as I was younger. I encourage everyone to take the additional moment or two to place on sunscreen, a hat and a shirt as soon as they are outside to protect themselves from the sun’s harmful rays. It costs it.”
Skin cancer is the the majority of common cancer in the United States. Much more individuals will certainly be diagnosed along with skin cancer this year compared to breast, prostate, lung and colon cancer combined. The excellent news is that the majority of skin cancers Can easily be prevented. The the majority of preventable induce of skin cancer is exposure to ultraviolet light, either from the sun or from artificial sources, love tanning beds.
Follow these essential pointers for lowering skin cancer risk by limiting skin’s exposure to intense sunlight and by using sunscreen. Remember, it is essential to protect your skin on cloudy and overcast days too because, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, even on cloudy days, regarding 80 percent of ultraviolet rays Can easily reach our skin.
- Do not burn: Steer clear of direct sun exposure throughout the day’s the majority of intense sun, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.. Seek shade throughout these hours.
- Bear in mind the American Cancer Society’s “Slip, Slop, Slap, & Wrap” rules.
- Slip on a shirt: Protective, lightweight clothing Can easily advice to protect skin from the sun’s rays.
- Slop on sunscreen: Sunscreen and lip balm along with a Sun Protection Factor of at the very least 30 need to be applied generously 30 mins prior to outdoor activities. Bear in mind to reapply every two hours and after swimming, toweling off, or sweating.
- Slap on a hat: Hats along with wide brims Can easily protect eyes, face, neck, and ears.
- Cover on sunglasses: Don’t forget to protect eyes from the sun’s ultra-violet rays. Pick glasses along with 100 percent UVA/UVB protection.
- Examine the UV Index: It provides essential write-up to advice strategy outdoor tasks in methods that Steer clear of overexposure to the sun. The index Can easily be Located online .